Tuesday, January 16, 2018

One Foot Forward; honey and onion

Just went out for the mail, which was a note from my baby sister
and a book of writing prompts written by Peter Murphy.
 above are last year's ducks, but I hope they are still among
the ones that are here this year.   The life of a duck
often takes place in groups of ducks 
that look very much like each other. 
jhhymasfoto


In yesterday's mail, the book I had ordered by Chana Bloch,
The Moon is Almost Full, Autumn House Press, 2017.
And the first poem in the book reminded me of my blog
and my hopes for this year.


Yom Asal, Yom Basal

                    One day honey, one day onion.   
                                                              --Arabic saying

In every maybe, the fear of yes.
In every promise, a shattered glass.

For every portion a cutting edge.
For every rift a slippery bridge.

In every hope some pickling salt.
In every bungle a touch of guilt.

Unto every plan God's ringing laughter.
Unto every death a morning after.

                              Chana Bloch

The design of this is simply stunning to me! As I examine the structure, I see more and more design. Two line rhyming stanzas, each line in two parts, as is the epigraph. Try to make a structure for your own poem!

1 comment: