Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Love of trees


I splurged and got myself the Big Book of the new paintings of the Yorkshire Wold by David Hockney. It is called The Bigger Picture and I have just spent a very happy evening with it. BIG reproductions of lots of bright paintings and some examples of earlier work as it relates to his output as a whole. There are lots of trees in these paintings and I was reminded of the rhythm of these aspen trunks just west of our house in Michigan. I am getting lonesome for these woods, and hope we will manage to get back there this year. Did you know that when aspen grow in a clump like this they have the same DNA? They grow from root shoots of the one start. In this picture, autumn has begun with the yellowing of the bracken.
One of several essays is by Margaret Drabble, who grew up nearby, and whose mind is full of memories and poetry. It is an example of the kind of personal essay I have so enjoyed experimenting with--following the feww movement of the mind. I wa inspired to come here tonight.
I am having trouble getting started with my projects-- I have new art materials and notebooks started and sometimes I lie awake at night planning what I will do the next day. Which would be good if I actually did much/any of it the next day. I need to write letters, send presents, sketch and haiku. Whatever. . . I love this blog and am back, I hope. Kisses and goodnight.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment