Friday, November 29, 2013

Thinking About Commerce
























Well, I hope everyone escaped without death or hospitalization. Black Friday will be over in half an hour (Mountain Time) --we got back to the Daily Walk instead. I found this pair of brown-eyed beauties at the Alanson Riverfest Flea Market a few years ago. We went again this year, but the flea market seems to have lost its heart or something. like many other events of The Past.

I am thankful that I do not have to earn my bread by hauling junk around to jumble sales. But I do love to look (and to buy) at a really good jumble sale. And I love to photograph the ones with dolls.

Here are some sample short forms from Harryette Mullen's Urban Tumbleweed; notes from a tanka diary, Graywolf Press, 2013, page 67.

Today I give thanks for grace and mercy
bestowed upon me as I go on living,
like a turkey the president pardoned.

Airline passenger detained was no
fanatic hiding explosives. but a smuggler
with expensive lizards in his pants.

                          *** Harryette Mullen


We had a lovely turkey jumble plate for dinner thanks to Jill and her thoughtfully packed leftovers.
What did you eat?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment