Thursday, May 29, 2014

White petals, golden stamens, reticulated leaves and thorns



This pesky fenceline shrub is revealing itself by flowering to be a blackberry; we think the birds must eat the berries before we can.

Today I treated myself to a new (2014) slender book from Copper Canyon Press of the poetry of W.S. Merwin, THE MOON BEFORE MORNING. Here are two poem from pages 6 and 7 in the book; because I don't plan to eat it all in one gulp.


BY THE FRONT DOOR

Rain through the morning
and in the long pool a toad singing
happiness old as water 

NEW LIGHT

Now in the blessed days of more and less
when the news about time is that each day
there is less of it I know none of that
as I walk out through the early garden
only the day and I are here with no
before or after and the dew looks up
without a number or  present age.

W.S. Merwin

I am delighted to have this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment