Tuesday, November 04, 2008

From the car


From the car
Originally uploaded by jhhymas
Sometimes, I see such interesting and majestic things from the car as we travel across great and beautiful America, with its rocks. deserts, rivers and plains. I have always been proud to be an American and I think never more proud than tonight, when a nation with such a terribly complicated history in relation to descendents of people from Africa has decisively elected Barack Obama President of the United States.
It has taken me back to my first library job in downtown Cleveland, where children we were just learning to call "black" used to stand beside the reference desk and touch my long straight hair to see "what it felt like." And where, just after Martin Luther King's I Have a Dream speech, people came into the library weeping, tears pouring down each face. I knew then that America was changing, and had to change a great deal more. I didn't know that I would ever see this. I feel we are at the threshold of something truly magnificent. We know all the bad things, but now new possibilties open out before us, before us all. . .

1 comment:

  1. Cried last night watching another Robert jump up and down and cheer at the screen.

    b

    ReplyDelete