Thursday, April 09, 2009

Old photos and old poems

This was taken six or seven years ago. Mu grandchildren, and my husband's new dachshund, are watching my daughter-in-law bake a pie. My husband is holding the dachshund on his lap and the level of interest-in-food is high among all the observers. My husband is a divine pie-maker, and he does little seminars with my daughter-in-laws about it when we visit.
As for me and pie baking, MY mother-in-law taught me how to make pie-crust with lard, and now that lard has turned out to be one of the Five Dangerous Substances, plus my husband stopped eating red meat, the lard days are over.
These children are the ones who just visited--enjoying the un-Idaho-like warmth of California. Since they left five more types of blossoming have started in our yard, they could have been even more impressed. Lovely soft rain making all the new leaves happy over the past couple of days.
Today I got together with one of the people from the painting trip to Greece I took last summer. We had a great time in her studio and looking at the art work in the Gallery of which she is a member! It's in the same bookstore where I used to meet my best friend, Paul, in the late 1970's. Now, the bookstore, like so many of the independent ones, has closed. And my friend was one of the first people I knew with AIDS; he died at age 40 in 1990. All of these parts of life were long ago, and just yesterday, too. I was happy to be reminded of Paul.

1 comment: