Sunday, November 30, 2014

In a country. . .

Twigs and lichen on young aspen, Emmet County Michigan 2014.
There is grass but you can't see it from here. 
Virtually all of Michigan's immense great white pine forests
were logged during the 19th century,



IN A COUNTRY ONCE FORESTED

The young woodland remembers 
the old, a dreamer dreaming

of an old holy book,
an old set of instructions,

and the soil under the grass
is dreaming of a young forest,

and under the pavement the soil
is dreaming of grass.

Wendell Berry
Given:Poems, Counterpoint, 2005, page 4.

I was lonesome for woods tonight, and nature, and pure common sense, so I picked up a book by Wendell Berry. The poem I chose has eight short lines, two-line stanzas and regular sentence-type capitalization and punctuation. Many of the lines have 5 to 7  syllables as do the lines in haiku. I will try to write a short poem with a similar structure, I am dreaming it, , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment