Saturday, July 05, 2008

Woman of antiquity


Woman of antiquity
Originally uploaded by jhhymas
I have had fun all day computing with pictures. The most fun I have had in a long time, and I'll show you some fun stuff later.
This lady lived a long time ago. Her funerary statue was found on Delos. I am not too clear about these funerary monuments, but I think they date from Roman times. I doubt they were carved before death, but otherwise how would they resemble the dead? And was it important that thay did?
This lady became very dear to me when I visited the National Archealogical Museum in Athens on the last day of my trip to Greece. (I wish I had arranged to stay longer while I was there. You could spend a week in this museum and there are others!) I felt like I knew her. It was sort of a relief to find her there among the gods and goddesses. The statue is marble and the carving is very beautiful. She still has her nose and her arms and such lovely drapery. And she lived so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment