Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Evening Walk in the Neighborhood


And I brought my trusty iPhone camera. Silhouetted in the upper left, a spectacular Cork Oak that is almost too big to be a tree lawn tree; they've had to curve the sidewalk around it. I must get a picture of this whole majestic tree!

Tonight I have been reading a book called Van Gogh at Work. It comes from an exhibit by the Van Gogh Museum, and follows the progress of Vincent's gaining skill. On the early pages are some of his VERY early sketchbooks. I had planned to only riffle through and look at the pictures, but it turns out to be the kind of art book that you read the whole thing, including the captions. It certainly makes me feel lazy! He has decided to be an artist and he works so hard! Fortunately, his brother is supporting him, or the world of ART would probably be completely different. He is no only at the beginning, struggling with drawing materials (hard to afford, and not as good as the ones that are so easy for us to get,) struggling with perspective and the appearance of distance. I have understood several interesting things about distance in landscape and planning for perspective through the explanations in this book. I am not even peeking ahead to the Wheatfield with Crows, my all time favorite; I plan to read straight through.

Go to a link to the words for Vincent (Starry, Starry Night)in case you had forgotten some of the lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment