Saturday, April 11, 2015

Hello, Grin, Where's Jack?

 My brother reminds me that my father died around this time in 1987. 
I hadn't been keeping track of anything except birth dates. 
Here is a picture of Dad before he was my dad.

My father's education included the memorization of many poems. He used to recite Longfellow's "The Blacksmith," (Under the spreading chestnut tree . . . . sinewy hands .. ) and Tennyson's "The Lady of Shallot" and many others, but his true specialty was the Robert W. Service poems: "The Cremation of Sam McGee" and "The Hermit of Sharktooth Shoal" which Douglas Hopper memorized to thrill us with at a family reunion! Look these poems up, they are all on the Web now and it's great stuff! I am sure that's why Alfred Noyes' "The Highwayman" was my favorite poem in Junior High. I developed a taste for this great stuff.

Jack Hicks Hopper 1906-1987
This is the original scan I got from an album using my mother's first scanner.
On some visits, I used to stay up and scan after she went to sleep. I don't
know who put on that caption; I just scanned what I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment