Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Glittering, like a brook

This was two years ago and in an Idaho January, 
and I won't see the like in San Jose this winter.
But we have turned on the heat. . .and perhaps it is time for a little Wordsworth. . .


Written in London, September, 1802

O Friend! I know not which way I must look
For comfort, being as I am, opprest,
To think that now our life is only drest
For show; mean handiwork of craftsman, cook
Or groom!---We must run glittering, like a brook
In the open sunshine, or we are unblest:
The wealthiest man among us is the best:
No grandeur now in nature or in book
Delights us. Rapine, avarice, expense,
This is idolatry, and these we adore:
Plain living and high thinking are no more:
The homely beauty of the good old cause
Is gone; our peace, our fearful innocence,
And pure religion breathing household laws.

William Wordsworth

John Brantingham, The Gift of Form; a Pocket Guide to Formal Poetry, 2nd edition, Spouthill Press, San Dimas CA, 2015, page 50.

And yes, it is a sonnet. Have you tried this form??? 
I discovered this book through my enthusiasm 
for the poetry of John Brantingham.




No comments:

Post a Comment