Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Late California Poppies


PICT1290
Originally uploaded by jhhymas
At Point Lobos, the tiny autumn blooms of spring and summer wildflowers are a reminder that autumn deepens. Something has gone to seed on the bluffs and made fluffies on a stalk that reminded me of large Q-tips. I don't know the name of the plant, or what the bloom would look like. The trip to California worked out well, except that I should have left a little more leeway to rest and hang out before I came back. Everyone was spectacular at the Haiku Retreat--it was wonbderful to see them--and I heard some fine haiku. Carolyn taught us how to use the Pilot Parallel Pen, a type of cartridge double steel nib pen designed for calligraphy, which turns out to be very useful for quick sketching. It is water-soluble ink, so you can also pull a little blueness out of the black--with a wet brush--for shadows and cloudshadow and other shading. I fell in love with this pen. We had a great deal of fun with all the art supplies at the Retreat which was organized on the theme of keeping travel journals for art, sketching and collage. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment