Sunday, May 03, 2015

Moonspell

Moon on the way down at 5:50 this very morning. 
I took many pictures through the trees, but this one
where the leaves look like a pair of deer 
is my current favorite. I love the moon!

Moonspell

I have forgotten English
in order to talk to pelicans
plunging into tomorrow
disturb the deep reverie
of herons standing
on yesterday’s shoreline
find the iguana’s secret
name embroidered
on his ruby brain
it is milk
it is moonlight
milk pouring
over the islands
stand in a doorway
listen
I am drowning
in sky milk
and those soft murmurings
of moonlit vertebrae
these deciphered codewords
are spoken names
of island dwellers
they will not be repeated
pour on my bare shoulders
are small extensions
of themselves
as the manta ray bubbles
rising in water
gleams in moonlight
small fish tremble
I know I know
my speech is grunts
squeaks clicks stammers
let go let go
follow the sunken ships
and deep sea creatures
follow the protozoa
into that far darkness
another kind of light
leave off this flesh
this voice
these bones
sink down
 
                            Galapagos Islands
Al Purdy

15 Canadian Poets x 3; edited by Gary Geddes, Oxford University Press, Canada, 2001, pages 79-80.

I have a new anthology of Canadian Poets. My favorite, Roo Borson, is in it, but so are others new to me, like Al Purdy. I find the way this short-line, no stanza-breaks poem travels very appealing. And, of course, I always thought I would have time to go to the Galapagos Islands. Canada is so close to us, and a lot of the poets are writing in English. Take a look!



No comments:

Post a Comment