Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Raindrops on Roses

I took this yesterday after a rain sprinkle. Just now (about 11 pm)
there came a rattle and heavy downpour, When I looked it up, the weather people
had just spotted on Doppler radar, a hailstorm moving over Eagle, toward Boise.
There was a tremendous clatter for 10 or 15 minutes; 
I imagine rose damage, but won't know until it gets light.
Each year when the roses bloom, I remember the rose-loving fellow who 
lived here until he died. We bought from the widow;
and his roses and irises still delight us every spring!


it comes to  my shoulder
longing for human company
a red dragonfly

Natsume Soseki
(1868-1912)

Modern Japanese Haiku, Makoto Ueda,
University of Toronto Press, Toronto and Buffalo, 1974, page 46.

I can recommend his novel, I am a Cat!
He left a body of excellent work in many forms and 
for many years his face was on the 1000 yen Japanese banknote.
He is generally considered to be one of Japan's greatest writers.
It pleases me that he wrote haiku and took the form seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment