Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Studio window


Norton studio window
Originally uploaded by jhhymas
Before the sun came up, I lay awake and thought about the Mica Hand of the Hopewell Culture. I decided I wanted to make a list of the Ten Perfect Made Things.
So these are the two that I thought of first, in the order I thought of them. I thought of Picasso's Boy Leading a Horse in between them, but after I looked it up, it was not the picture I thought I remembered, and has been cut. There will be a Picasso, I just don't know which one yet. Then I could see that even ten things, all with links, is too long for one post.

It soon became clear that I had to think some things through. What is included in made things? Sculpture naturally came up for my, but I thought of many more paintings.

Don’t photographs need a list of their own? I decide to move the linocut reduction print I own and the Adams photo to 10 best lists of their own in later posts. And I am still working on the rest of the list, although I am pretty sure that one of (all of?)Whistler's pastels of Venice will make the cut.

1.The Mica Hand of the Hopewell Culture.
2. Pupil (a pear wood and ceramic figure) by Elizabeth King that I saw at a museum in the 1990s.
So this is it for tonight. There are some other views of Pupil at the same site. It took my breath away when I saw it in the Hirshhorn Museum more than 10 years ago. I think it is part of the permanent collection there.

No comments:

Post a Comment