Sunday, May 25, 2008

Trillium wood on the way to Indian River

Tonight we went out for a bite to eat and a short drive. I remembered that the woods along Hwy 68 between Alanson and Indian River had been a good place to see trillium in bloom just at this time, or a little earlier. I knew this might be my last chance this year. And look at this! This photo shows only a small portion of this wood along the highway. We stopped so I could take pictures, and the very nice woman who lives there came out to talk to me about them. She said she moved here from Ohio a few years ago, and really loved these flowers. She asked if I wanted to pick some, but I said she should just leave them there. Gorgeous!
This pleased me so much. I thought she was going to yell at me to stay off her land--I was just standing on the edge of the road where the Road Commission mows the weeds, and peering into the twilit woods. And she just wanted to rejoice with me at the wildflower's beauty. THe trillium is the state flower of Michigan.

1 comment: