Monday, July 01, 2013

Inside Looking Out

This is my Cassandra, an Indoor Dachshund, who would like to roam the woods and fields. After an over-full day, I am not thinking clearly enough to write much tonight.
But I want to give you another little taste of Adelman's book on Albert O. Hirschman, which I wrote about last night.  From The New Yorker review. (June 24, 2013, page 78.)

"Adelman is struck by the tone of optimism in Hirschman's notes on his journey. The economist was interested in all the ways in which proiects managed to succeed, both in spite of and because of, the difficulties:

Instead of asking what benefits [has] this project yielded, it would almost be more pertinent to ask: how many conflicts has it brought in its wake? How many crises has it occasioned and passed through? And these conflicts and crises should appear both on the benefit and cost side, or sometimes on one---sometimes on the other, depending on the outcome (which cannot be known with precision for a long time, if ever.

Posted by PicasaOnly Hirschman would circle the globe and be content that he couldn't reach a conclusion ---for a long time, if ever. He was a planner who really didn't believe in planning, He wanted to remind other economists that a lot of the problems they tried to fix were either better off not being fixed or weren't problems to begin with."

This is enough to think about for a week! Look for examples in the things you have studied or (better) been involved in.

Here is your question for tonight from me: Did Che Guevara go through all that to become a T-shirt??? I know I am being silly, but I would desperately like the world to improve so that so many people would not have such terrible lives. (My husband is currently reading Behind the Beautiful Forevers; life, death and hope in a Mumbai undercity, in case I needed a few more specifics.) But how can we get there from here?

Stay tuned. Sleep tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment