Monday, December 02, 2013

I found her on Craigslist; isn't she pretty?























But I won't find her under my Christmas tree; she's very expensive and probably overpriced, but if that tiny crimson mouth could speak! I did get that sewing machine I mentioned last night, it is only a year old and light blue, a slightly lighter color than her dress. Sews like a charm and weighs only 13 pounds. I've already done some mending.

It's very cold tonight; when I came in I left my coat on, and I'm still wearing it now, hours later. And the dogs are asleep in front of the fire.

Wrapt in my coat, I just started and finished the short book, America's Greatest Unknown Poet; Lorine Niedecker reminiscences, photographs, letters and her Most Memorable Poems by John Lehman, Zelda Wilde Publishing, Cambridge, Wisconsin, 2003. It was extremely interesting; more and more it seems to me worthwhile to be spending time with the condensed poetry she wrote. She was born in 1903, so she belongs to the generation of my parents and the generation after W. C. Williams and Ezra Pound.

Here's just one extra-short one, from page 41:

Popcorn-can cover
screwed to the wall
over a hole
         so the cold
can't mouse in

---Lorine Niedecker

                                                     And so to bed . . .hope you are comfy.






































Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment