Friday, February 15, 2008

Foliage in a Square


Square Deal
Originally uploaded by jhhymas
When I see New York on TV, it looks overwhelming, still I would like to spend a couple of weeks in the museums, , ,
I haven't been to New York since I was 11 and my mom sent me to the IceCapades with my father, so she could go and see MARLON BRANDO in Streetcar named Desire! We all also saw The Madwoman of Chaillot, of which I only remember the gray wig of the actress and perhaps something about a staricase. Memory is a funny and frangible thing.
We also went up in the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty--which Mom said she had gone up in the arm of on her trip
circa 1927. But what I remember best (I had 6 little brothers and sisters) was that my parents got me MY OWN pound of warm broken cashews from a subway vendor and Dad bought me a gardenia (the sweet, sweet smell) to wear on my coat. I saved the ribbon (folded into a little square) from that gardenia for many years, and would not be greatly surprised to turn it up now in a box of letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment