Tuesday, May 07, 2013

There's something wonderfully messy about a streambank willow!























I wander around down here almost every day. The willow is slower to leaf than the cottonwoods. I love all the colors in the water; they change with the sky. We have enough male redwing blackbirds in the willow to exceed possible nest sites; it's like the men's dormitory! Although this morning there was a lone female on the patio eating spilled birdseed. This year the males just about OWN the birdfeeder. This morning, one little goldfinch had the nerve to begin to dine. I could see the blackbird watching incredulously. And then he flew right at the feeder--goodbye, little yellow-brushed beauty.
My beloved Frank Bidart has a new book of poems out--and naturally, I already have it. Here's one taste:

GLUTTON

Ropes of my dead
grandmother's unreproducible

sausage, curing for weeks

on the front porch. My mother
thoroughly

Americanized, found them

vaguely shameful.
Now though I

taste and taste

I can't find that
taste I so loved as a kid.

Each thing generates the idea

of itself, the perfect thing that it
is of course, not---

once, a pear so breathtakingly

succulent I couldn't
breathe. I take back that

"of course"

It's got to be out there again,---
. . . I have tasted it.

from Metaphysical Dog; Poems, by Frank Bidart

Short as it is, there are many wonderful things about this besides the story! I particularly like the neat and attractive one-line/two-line structure which slows things down so one can "taste" the phrases one at a time. Bidart also makes full use of periods, commas, dashes (he uses a beautiful straight em dash that I haven't been able to reproduce on Blogger.) And be sure to notice something I once heard him call the "comma dash" which is just a little different in length than either of its components. And then of course Italics! It doesn't get much better than this! Good night, and good punctuation!


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment