Friday, August 07, 2015

Flowering Annuals

The guy who lives a few houses away from us is doing this
and making me very jealousssss!
I had to stand on the dog's leash to get a picture on today's Daily Walk.
She isn;t interested in pausing for me to frame a photo.
In the Great Scheme of Things, growing nice flowers in your yard
may not count for much, but aren't they sweet??
The yellow ones are Plumed Cockscomb
and I think they are quite striking.


cockscombs… 
must be 14, 
or 15 

Shiki

Which made me think about the controversial haiku
by Shiki. He wrote it when a number of his poet-friends were
present. Mostly they didn't like it, according to the story.
Some of them later tried to add things, to try to "fix" it.
I think it is quite "cool" the way it is.

Thinking about annual flowers reminds me of 
my mother-in-law. Against the side 
of her little retirement house in Grace, Idaho,
she grew cosmos, a tall annual I was not familiar with then,
and which often reseeds. I asked her the name;
when she told me, she said they were easy to grow
but she had never really liked them.
When I asked why, she said that in her childhood home
they always grew by the outhouse
and she thought of them as "outhouse flowers."
She didn't even like their scent. 








No comments:

Post a Comment