Thursday, January 24, 2013

Circular Prose: the difficulty of writing about music, and everything else, too


Tonight I am thinking about adjectives, and adjectives in clusters of two or three, the way this Percolated Picture makes me think about circles. And this, the second paragraph in the new Boise Weekly's article on the group Pinback, is what made me do that! This link is one of those that might not last, so check it out soon.

"There's a certain angularity to the group's sidewinding songs, which have sharp math rock edges blunted by languid melodic shimmer. The tracks churn a creamy froth without overflowing, drawing a listener into the lulling undulations of vocal harmonies and rich guitar texture over rubbery, insistent rhythms."
Boise Weekly January 23-29, 2013, page 21


Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to write about music that you particularly like and to describe the sound of it. I suggest this might be more difficult than you imagine. Now I think I'll go and see if I can hear some of this music!  Good night.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment