Saturday, January 05, 2013

The greening of spring remembered; spring is reliable . . .


This fig tree grows near the trail along Calero Creek in San Jose. Many young leaves are very beautiful--that's why "young leaves" is a a kigo, or season word, in traditional haiku. Bur, I think the young leaves of the fig tree are especially beautiful because of the reticulation and the shape, almost like a hand. It is very cold in Idaho tonight and has been for the last few days. I like thinking about spring. I planted two dozen tulip bulbs this year; I hope it will not turn out that I should have gotten them in sooner. I like the reliability of bulbs.
I finished North of Jamaica tonight. Really a fine book written by a person of clear thought and expression. I tend to temper my words in situations where I think that people will not agree with me. (Not Simpson's way.) This is both a good idea and a bad one. For, while simplifying some interactions, and preventing open hostility, it can leave me feeling sort of ashamed of myself.
Here I am in the fifth day of the year. I have both too much and too little to say. I've set myself this pointless task; it really is too soon to quit.
I also Kindled through the rest of Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookshop. A light read and quite a romp. I wouldn't stick with a blog that merely listed books completed, but as Scarlett O'Hara said: tomorrow is another day.
My brother, Dave, is kindly checking my blog for typographical errors.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment