Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dawn in the mirror


Dawn in the mirror
Originally uploaded by jhhymas
In a domestic reversion, I baked banana bread (made with sour cream) yesterday. It has been quite popular. I thought you might like the recipe, the first one in this blog: Stick with me, we'll get back to reading!

SOUR CREAM BANANA BREAD

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup sour cream

Cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients, mix.
Add the mashed bananas and sour cream. Stir in nuts.
Baked in greased or Pam-sprayed loaf pan
at 350 degrees for one hour.

It was plenty sweet; I would try using a little less sugar.
I added a few tablespoons of sour cream
because I had some extra. It wasn't too much, resulting
in a nice moist cake. I had to bake more than one hour,
but I am quite sure the oven here is not correct.

I'd give credit for this recipe, but I have no idea whose it is.
My husband had it in his notebook of recipes.

Today I read Happy Land by MacKinlay Kantor, the novelette
that was published together with Tacey Cromwell in 1943.
It was like fiction made from looking at Norman Rockwell covers, very sweet, very innocent and very small-town. It was sad, yet hopeful at the same time. The details were perfect! I liked it very much. MacKinlay Kantor was a well-known author in my childhood, but seems not to be read much now. Sleep well, read something sweet and not post-modern this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment