Saturday, February 02, 2013

Patio season and a Perfect Dream, unrealizable . . .


In summer, I sit here to read. I should sketch here, but didn't try that yet. I have figured out that laptop use outdoors isn't really that much fun, but might try ot again anyway. I am fussing tonight about the watercolor class I signed up for this month. It starts on Tuesday. It's always difficult parking near the Boise Musejum and the ticket I got last year cost $75. Who doesn't want to stay in a Museum for more than two hours??? Who doesn't want to make art?

Here is Bei Dao in the introduction to his The Rose of Time; selected poems. page XII.
[After talking about his magazine that was banned in China in 1980 after two years in 1980.]
"In truth, I am not quite confident of my writing when I look back. It reminds me of those days of blacksmithing when I was frustrated by the iron works I had made. I realize that a poet and a blacksmith are much alike; both of them chase after a perfect dream that is unrealizable. I once, in an early poem, wrote the lines: "freedom is nothing but the distance/between the hunter and the hunted."  It is the predicament, as well, of writing poetry: when you are hunting poetry,
it turns out that you are hunted by poetry. In this sense, you are both hunter and hunted,
but poetry is the distance like freedom."

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment